Malaysia Phang Dances Way to BSU Presidency

Posted: September 05, 2019 | Author: Savannah Byers | Read Time: 1 minutes

Malaysia PhangMalaysia Phang is a junior at Southern Utah University who is passionate about making new friends, sharing her culture, and dancing. She is excited to serve as the 2019-2020 Black Student Union President. 

Phang has always enjoyed being involved in her community. Growing up, she was a member of the Girl Scouts and involved in dance throughout high school. At SUU, she has been involved with the Student Programming Board, Black Student Union (BSU), and the BSU Hip-Hop Team. 

In her first two years at SUU, Phang experienced some difficult ordeals. However, both the Center for Diversity and Inclusion (CDI) and BSU were major supporters for Phang during those times, and have encouraged her to continue forward with higher education. 

“I got involved with BSU my freshman year, and then my sophomore year I was the Secretary/Treasurer,” Phang said. “The BSU is my family, without them I probably would have transferred by now.”

As president of the BSU, she is looking forward to planning new events and opportunities for involvement on campus. Her ultimate goal is to raise club membership and retention by creating a safe, welcoming space for all students.

“Please come and visit the groups in the CDI and get to know our cultures- just be respectful when doing so,” Phang said. “Also be on the lookout for our future events, because they will be awesome!” 

Phang is majoring in psychology and minoring in dance performance. Performing and choreographing for the BSU Step Show, BSU Hip-Hop Team, and her various classes at SUU have inspired Phang’s future goals. 

“I just love to dance! I would love to eventually open up my own dance therapy studio for children,” Phang said. 

Club meetings for the Black Student Union are held Wednesdays at 6:30 p.m. in the CDI. Learn more about the Black Student Union at SUU.

Tags: Student Clubs Center for Diversity and Inclusion