Student Facilitates Internship Opportunities for Peers

Posted: January 29, 2018 | Author: Miles Anderson | Read Time: 2 minutes

Shay Bauman and group of internsWhen Shay Bauman became involved at the Michael O. Leavitt Center for Politics and Public Service early on in her education, she knew right away that she wanted a bigger role in the organization. Her list of responsibilities and accomplishments grew each year and now, as a senior economics major, she is the Internship Coordinator for the Leavitt Center, an integral position within the organization.

As the Internship Coordinator, Bauman is responsible for establishing relationships with local, state, and national organizations, helping students develop professionally in preparation for internships, and facilitating the application/interview process. Her role helps ensure students are prepared to represent the Leavitt Center and SUU at these professional organizations.

“I pride myself on being able to assist any student that comes in the center with their professional development,” said Bauman. “I help with creating resumes, filling out various applications, interview skills, and more. Part of the Leavitt Center’s mission is professional development, and a big chunk of that falls under my responsibility. This has contributed to my professional growth in many ways.”

Bauman has sent over 50 Southern Utah University students on paid internships in the public sector. Locations for these internships include Cedar City, Salt Lake City, and Washington, D.C.

Throughout her education at SUU, Bauman has had several professors and mentors help her establish a path and seize valuable opportunities that have guided her to accomplish much as an undergraduate student.

“The mentors I have had took a personal interest in me,” said Bauman. “It started in the Leavitt Center with Donna Law and now Mary Bennett taking chances on me and allowing me to move up and become more involved. My mentors believing in me is part of the reason I have found my passions and the confidence to pursue them.”

Shay Bauman

Bauman also notes Dr. David Tufte, associate professor of economics, for influencing her decision to become an economics major.

“I took a macroeconomics class to fill a credit my sophomore year and I didn't even know what macroeconomics was,” said Bauman. “It became my favorite class of the semester. I loved what I was learning, I was being challenged in a way my other classes never had, and I was actually really good at it. Dr. Tufte told me I should major in economics, and here I am.”

Bauman had her passion for public policy further solidified by working with Dr. Angela Pool-Funai on a research project, an experience that has helped her learn just how interrelated economics and public policy are.

In addition to her work in the Leavitt Center, Bauman has also completed an internship at the State Legislature and participated in the Utah Intercollegiate Legislature in which she was elected Governor for the following year.

In the Fall of 2018, Bauman will begin her graduate studies in public policy and hopes to eventually work as a policy analyst or consultant for the government.

This article was published more than 5 years ago and might contain outdated information or broken links. As a result, its accuracy cannot be guaranteed.

Tags: Blog School of Business Leavitt Center