4 Facts About Nouman Kante, African Union Club President

Posted: December 05, 2019 | Author: Savannah Byers | Read Time: 2 minutes

Nouman KanteGet to know Southern Utah University’s 2019-2020 African Union Club President, Nouman Kante. Kante is a senior majoring in business management and minoring in philosophy

1. Kante is the first in his family history to graduate high school.

“I was born in Ouelessebougou Mali, West Africa. I have 18 brothers and sisters and other relatives that still live in Mali. I came to America in 2012 and graduated from Wasatch Academy in Mount Pleasant, Utah in 2016. I am the first in my family history to graduate from high school, which they are very proud of. I am also the first in my family and community to attend college.”

2. Kante lived with Yeah Samake, the former mayor of Ouelessebougou

Cassidy Harmon, SUU News writer, wrote about Kante’s time in Ouelessebougou: “After talking to Kante, Samake saw potential in him and wanted to help. Earlier in Samake’s life someone gave him an opportunity and now Samake wanted to pay it forward. Soon after the conversation took place, Samake invited Kante to live with him.” Read the full story on Nouman’s journey from Mali to SUU.

3. Kante loves the Center for Diversity and Inclusion.

“The CDI has been a great resource to me in way ways. It’s so accessible. Whenever I need a quiet place to study I just go there. People who work there are outstanding in terms of finding out how to best support students. Take advantage of it and know that it is a resource for everyone.”

4. Kante will be the 2019-2020 President of the African Union Club.

“There is more to the college experience than the classroom. Clubs allow students to discover their passions and strengths. The African Union Club has changed my outlook of Africa and the rest of the world. The club is open to anyone who has the passion to learn about the African Continent its culture and its people. We aim to promote the diverse culture within the continent of Africa by social activities, entertainment, social awareness, and fun.”
Learn more about the African Union Club.

Tags: School of Business Student Affairs International Affairs Center for Diversity and Inclusion