Chemical Waste: Solids

Solid chemical waste is disposed via trash disposal or the Chemical Waste Program. Solids are never disposed of down the drain or in storm drains.

Trash Disposal

Trash disposal is only permissible for select wastes. Please reference this list for solid chemicals eligible for trash disposal.

Submitting any other chemical waste in trash may not be in compliance with these regulations and rules and may result in criminal charges. Improper disposal is a hazard to waste management personnel, civilians, and the environment.

Do not dispose of any other wastes in trash without express permission from Facilities Safety and Risk Management.

Chemical Waste Program Disposal

Solid chemical waste determined to be regulated hazardous waste must be disposed of via the Chemical Waste Program in accordance with hazardous waste disposal requirements.

Solid chemical waste that is not on the list for sanitary sewer drain disposal must be disposed of via the Chemical Waste Program. These wastes should be:

  • packed in strong, sealable containers
  • labeled with the contents
  • not labeled with the words "hazardous waste."
  • submitted using the Waste Removal Request Form.

Silica Gel

Silica gel used for purification of solvents or products should be submitted to the Chemical Waste Program as hazardous waste. Silica gel, molecular sieves, and other absorbent materials contaminated with hazardous materials are also considered hazardous waste. Waste containers can be requested from ERM.

Mercury Containing Devices

Intact mercury containing devices are considered Universal Waste and can be processed for recycling rather than disposed of. To dispose of intact mercury lamps, bulbs, thermometers, or other devices, contact Facilities Safety and Risk at (435) 865-8141. Place the article in a sealed container and label the containers as "Universal Waste - Mercury containing device" so that Facilities Management staff can collect the article.

Computers and Electronics

Electronic waste and scrap may contain heavy metals, but is considered Universal Waste by and can be processed for recycling rather than disposed of. Computers, servers, etc. should be sent to the Surplus department for sale or proper electronic waste disposal. Contact the SUU Surplus office at (435) 865-8683 or for more details.


Non-rechargeable alkaline batteries are not considered hazardous waste and can be discarded with general waste. Rechargeable batteries, categorized by the EPA as universal waste (hazardous but common), must be recycled in approved containers. Battery terminals should be taped over prior to placing the battery into the receptacle. Please use the Waste Removal Request Form to appropriately dispose of batteries.