Financial Aid Frequently Asked Questions

General Financial Aid Questions:
You can reach us at (435) 586-7735, or by visiting our office in the Sharwan Smith Center, Room 167. Our office hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.

How do I apply for Financial Aid?
In two easy steps:

  • Go to the Federal Student Aid website and create what is called an FSA ID. Your FSA ID gives you access to Federal Student Aid's online systems and can serve as your legal signature.
  • Once you have set up your FSA ID, go to and complete the online Federal Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The information from the FAFSA will be used to determine your eligibility for Federal grants, loans and work-study. Don't forget to add SUU's school code to your FAFSA, 003678.

Where can I see what Financial Aid I have been offered?
Your financial aid award can be found in Banner Financial Aid. You will need to log in using your SUU username and password. Once you have logged in, select "Award", then "Award By Aid Year". Select your Aid Year from the drop-down menu and then "Submit." On the subsequent page, select the "Award Overview" tab, which will list your financial aid award.

Who is my financial aid counselor?
Your financial aid counselor is determined by your last name. To see who your counselor is, you can check out the Financial Aid contacts page.

What is FERPA?
The Family Education Right-to-Privacy Act is a law designed to keep your personal information safe. It means that no one…not parents, not siblings, not spouses…will have access to your information without written consent. The Financial Aid Office takes this law very seriously and will not release your information to anyone unless you sign an Information Release Form, which may be downloaded or picked up in our office. Please note that you must sign this release in the presence of a member of our staff or a Notary Public. Faxed signatures are not acceptable. The SUU Registrar's Office has more information on FERPA at SUU.

When can I pick up my refund check?
Refunds are processed just prior to the beginning of classes each semester. If you have set up direct deposit, the refund will be deposited into the specified account around this time. If you have not signed up for direct deposit, you can do so in the mySUU Portal. We highly encourage you to sign up for direct deposit, as it is the quickest way for you to receive your refund.

If you have not signed up for direct deposit, your refund check will be mailed to the mailing address that SUU has on file for you. You can verify or update your mailing address via the mySUU Portal. Checks are mailed out on the first day of the semester.

What is "work-study"?
The Federal work-study program provides funds for students who wish to have an on-campus job. Work-study jobs are typically part-time. Eligibility for work-study funds is determined by the information you submit on the FAFSA. You can find and apply for available work-study jobs on the Jobs for T-Birds page. Be sure to select "work-study" when you specify the job type.

What is a "Direct Loan"?
Direct Stafford Loans are offered to students who submit the FAFSA. They are low-interest loans for students to help pay for the cost of a college education. The lender is the U.S. Department of Education rather than a bank or other financial institution. For more information on Direct Student loans, visit

What is a Federal Perkins Loan?
The Federal Perkins Loan Program is a school-based loan program for undergraduate and graduate students with exceptional financial need. Under this program, the school is the lender. Funds are limited. Students who feel they need a Perkins loan will need to meet with their financial aid counselor.

How do I apply for scholarships?

  • INCOMING FRESHMAN - If you meet SUU's scholarship requirements and apply for admission before the March 1st deadline, you will automatically be considered for a scholarship.
  • CURRENT/RETURNING SUU STUDENTS - Beginning each November 1st, scholarship applications will be available.
  • TRANSFER STUDENTS - If you meet SUU's scholarship requirements and apply for admission before March 1st, you will automatically be considered for a scholarship.

You can also search for scholarships via outside sources, such as FastWeb,, College Board and Chegg.

What does college cost?
The following is a cost of attendance estimate for full-time resident and non-resident students for the 2019-2020 year. The cost estimates are for students attending both fall and spring semesters.

Undergraduate Non Resident, Living Off -Campus

Undergraduate non-resident, living Off-Campus
Component Cost
Tuition $19,822
Fees 764
Books & Supplies 1600
Room & Board 7500
Miscellaneous 2400
Transportation 2400
Loan Fees 50
Total $34,536

Undergraduate Resident, Living Off -Campus

Undergraduate Resident Cost, Living Off-Campus
Component Cost
Tuition $6006
Fees 764
Books & Supplies 1600
Room & Board 7500
Miscellaneous 2400
Transportation 2400
Loan Fees 50
Total $20,720

This is not your bill. These are estimated standard costs incurred by full-time students who are planning to attend SUU for the fall and spring 2019-20 semesters. Much of these costs are not paid to SUU, but are average living expenses to give you an idea of how much it may cost to attend college in Cedar City. If you need help meeting additional expenses, contact your financial aid counselor to see if there are other financial aid options available to you. You can also contact the Cashier's Office to see if a payment plan is a good option for you. You can also view current tuition and fee costs at the Cashier's website.