7 Questions Students Have Before Going to SUU

Posted: August 03, 2018 | Author: Southern Utah University | Read Time: 4 minutes

Student participating in bell tower traditionHow is parking at SUU?
Because SUU is a small town it might not be necessary to have car to get around town. There are numerous parking spots on SUU’s campus, however parking passes are limited. There are several free lots to park in around campus such as the lot down by the PE building and Eccles Stadium. The mission of Parking Services is to maintain a safe and efficient parking system that continuously adapts to growth of the University community and its visitors. If you would like to purchase a Parking Pass or learn more about the services provided by Parking Services, please visit the SUU Parking Services site.

What is there to do in Cedar City?
Cedar City has a population of about 31,000 people but there is plenty to do in Festival City, USA.  With a plethora of activities ranging from the great outdoors to local weekly events, all four seasons provide different types of fun things to do in southern Utah.

What is the weather like in Cedar City?
All four seasons are represented in Cedar City, Utah. Summer lasts from June to September, with an average daily high temperature above 78°F. The hottest day of the year is in July, with an average high of 87°F and low of 58°F.  The Winter season lasts from November to February, with an average daily high temperature below 49°F. The coldest day of the year is in January, with an average low of 18°F and high of 39°F. You will want to make sure you pack for each one. Thick coats and pants are recommended for the colder months and shorts, t-shirts, and water bottles are highly encouraged for the summer months. Fall and Spring are the perfect time to bring out the jeans and long sleeve shirts as the weather changes from warm to cold or cold to warm. Check out more information for the weather in Cedar City, Utah at the U.S Climate Data Website or Weather Spark.

How can I get involved on campus?
It’s no secret that student life on a college campus is more than attending classes, studying for tests, and catching up on sleep. It is also about creating an experience that is unique to you. The best way to maximize your student life is to get involved and join a club or organization, which can open up a world of benefits to students like leadership opportunities, chances to try new things, and create lasting friendships. With over 180 different clubs at Southern Utah University there are countless ways to personalize your college experience. From the soccer club to the rocket club to the hip hop club, there’s always something happening on campus. Find where you fit in by joining a club or organization that shares the same interests as you.

What athletic events do students attend?
Southern Utah University has 17 Division 1 teams and competes in the Big Sky Conference. There are athletic events that range from Saturday night football games to weekday volleyball tournaments, basketball games, and gymnastic meets. Students can expect to cheer on their fellow Thunderbirds in a thunderous crowd of fans. It is an experience unlike any other when SUU students come together to support the athletic program. Visit the SUU Athletics site for information about game schedules, tickets, or team rosters.

What are the class sizes like?
Just over 10,000 students are enrolled at Southern Utah University, which means class sizes are going to be relatively small in size. 22% of the student population takes classes online with the other 78% enrolled on campus.  With a 18:1 student to faculty ratio, students will never feel lost in a crowd. This type of experience allows for academic success in the classroom as the professors are more easily able to engage with the students. Professors will build students up for a successful future by personalizing the educational experience for their students. Students will find they are welcomed and cared about by their professors and will feel that they are receiving a quality education.

What are the food options around town?
Cedar City is home to over 100 different restaurant and food options, from familiar favorites to local treasures. We hope these restaurant lists, sorted by food type, will help you decide what to eat in Cedar City!

Tags: Student Blog High School

Related Posts