Meet SUU’s Executive Council for 2021-2022

Posted: November 04, 2021 | Author: Savannah Byers | Read Time: 10 minutes

SUU's Executive Council, 2021-2022Each year, the Southern Utah University student body has the opportunity to vote for members of the Executive Council. The Executive Council takes on various responsibilities and leadership roles throughout the academic year that impact campus life and major university decisions. This year, the student body has elected another strong group of student leaders who are excited to tackle this upcoming school year.

“This group of Executive Council members are really charged with serving students and creating an atmosphere that is inclusive to all,” said Heather Garcia, assistant director of Student Involvement and Leadership. “They are continuously looking for ways to serve others and help students find their home away from home. I am proud of the work they have done so far and will continue to do. This group has been great to work with and they have been able to tackle and accomplish some great things that will really benefit students.”

Executive Council Goals

Normally on college campuses, about 20% of the students are actively engaged with campus activities, events, and student life. This year, the Executive Council is focusing on inviting in the remaining 80% by increasing the number of campus events, listening to student concerns, and intentionally reaching out to and including every area of campus.

“I think SUU is a great place and we can continue to make it even better,” said Nouman Kante, SUU student body president. “Some of our leadership teams are increasing community spaces where students can meet and enjoy being together. I want that to continue to be a priority moving forward.”

To learn more about upcoming events, visit the SUU event calendar. Stay up to date with the latest on SUU’s social media accounts. Everyone on campus is working hard to create a memorable school year for the SUU student body.

“This is a team that is really engaged and really involved,” said Nouman. “They are passionate about serving SUU and putting the students first. This is going to be a great year!”

Nouman Kante, Student Body President

Nouman is a “freshman” graduate student earning his Master’s of Business Administration with an emphasis in leadership. He graduated with his bachelor’s degree in business management and minor in philosophy in spring of 2021. He is honored to be serving as student body president for a second year, and he is looking forward to another year of serving and connecting with the student body.

Nouman has been involved on campus since day one. He has served as an ambassador with the International Affairs office, president of the African Union club, an upper-division senator with SUU Student Association, and an RA for campus housing. Dedicated to service, Nouman has focused his efforts as president this year on reaching out to students and helping them get involved in the SUU community.

“I always wanted to create a sense of community; it’s really important,” said Nouman. Several plans for 2020-2021 were interrupted by the COVID-19 pandemic. Even then, Nouman’s team was able to work with the resources and outlets available to create a memorable year.

“In a time of crisis, leadership is linked to tough decision making and inclusivity. Adaptability is a part of leadership and a part of hard decision-making. Working with people in that process was the hallmark of my first term as president, and I look forward to continuing this work in my second term.”

Learn more about Nouman.

Mitchell Zufelt, VP of Academics

Mitchell Zufelt came to SUU because of his experience growing up in Cedar City, Utah, but he stayed because of the abundant opportunities to get involved in the thriving campus community. Now a senior majoring in economics and minoring in mathematics, Zufelt began his campus experience working as a custodian in the Electronic Learning Center. Since then, he worked as a tutor in the Writing Center, served as a Leavitt Center fellow, worked as a research assistant for the Economics Department, served as student director for TEDx, and started the student-run Economics & Analytics (econ) club.

“The experience I have had at SUU has been just phenomenal,” said Zufelt. “I recognize that experience is not the same for everyone. I could never pay back all the people who have made my experience so great, but I would love to pay it forward. I want every student here to have a world-class experience as I have. SUU has made me more the person I am than any other experience, and that is something I am really grateful for.”

Because of his background in data analytics, he plans to use the data gathered from various campus entities to determine how to better reach out to students who might be struggling to get involved in his position of VP of academics. This data-driven approach will allow the Executive Council to evaluate what types of experiences would add value to student life, and provide a plan of action for how to go about reaching out to different areas of campus and putting plans to action.

After graduation, Zufelt would like to be a research assistant and attend graduate school. His ultimate career goal is to fix the economy in the United States, in whatever capacity that entails.

Brock Bleak, VP of Clubs

Brock Bleak is a junior pre-med student from Cedar City, Utah majoring in biology and minoring in chemistry. Bleak cares deeply about the well-being of those around him and wants to see everyone happy. In middle school, he and his father created a local leadership conference for students of all backgrounds to gain leadership skills and build connections with their peers. After beginning college at SUU, Bleak expanded this movement by founding Leaders 4 Life, a student club on campus. He is thrilled to continue his efforts in the role of VP of Clubs.

“I want every student to know that our door is always open,” said Bleak. “Every member of the Executive Council cares deeply about the students and would love to meet each and every one of them. I want every student on campus to have a friend.”

Bleak plans to work toward that goal with his resources through the Executive Council. At the annual club president’s training, he will introduce new ways for presidents to facilitate new student outreach and engagement. By doing so, this goal will expand from a team of less than ten to a team of over 150. Additionally, the Executive Council has a “three-a-day” goal to meet and have real conversations with at least three students a day: a goal they often surpass.

Before being elected to the Executive Council, Bleak worked as Student Alumni Association president where he helped launch the Tradition Keeper program. After graduation, he plans to follow his parent’s footprints in the field of healthcare by attending medical school to become a doctor.

Makayla Brown, VP of Finance

Originally, Makayla Brown didn’t want to come to SUU. It was after attending a Governor's Honors Academy leadership conference on campus that this Layton, Utah native changed her mind. Through the leadership conference, she fell in love with SUU’s campus, met her best friend/roommate, and earned a scholarship to help alleviate some of the cost of school. Now a junior majoring in accounting, she is following the path of those who paved the way as a third-generation T-Bird.

“After I applied I felt like I had done the right thing,” said Brown. “I didn't realize how much I really cared until the letter came saying I had been accepted to go. I also didn't know the legacy I had here at SUU. My grandparents met here in 1958 and my mom graduated from SUU in 1997 with a degree in accounting. It makes my heart so happy to know my family loves this school as much as I do.”

Brown is looking forward to working with the Executive Council as VP of Finance this year. As a freshman, she started out as an assistant director on the Student Programming Board (SPB). The next year she became an assistant on the SPB. That experience and her passion for SUU drove her to run for student government.

“My goal for this upcoming year is to utilize our funding in the best ways possible,” said Brown. “I plan to connect with the student body through campaigns regarding student funding and how that works, and I hope to make funding available to all clubs and reevaluate our policies on funding.”

After graduation, Brown hopes to become an entrepreneur and start her own business.

Paige Washburn, VP of Programming

Paige Washburn got to know SUU through the Governor’s Honors Academy, a leadership conference on campus for high school students. She fell in love with SUU through that experience and came for the pre-med program. Now a junior majoring in biology with an emphasis in pre-physician assistant and a minor in chemistry, this Syracuse, Utah native is thrilled to take on a new leadership role as VP of Programming.

“I decided to run for student government because I am passionate about helping and meeting new students,” said Washburn. “I am always here for you! Student government should not be scary; come talk to me and tell me how your day is. I am a very good listener and love to hear stories from students. Also, get involved! Getting involved was the best choice I ever made. It has made me get out of my shell and actually be social, and it has made college so much more enjoyable.”

Washburn has several goals this year for her role in student government. She is currently working to build relationships with other organizations on campus to create a more connected campus. She is also working to update some of the events that upperclassmen have attended multiple times throughout their time on campus.

Before being elected as VP of Programming, Washburn was involved on campus through the SPB as an assistant and then an athletic director. She has also been involved on campus through the Honors program, Greek life, the Rural Health Scholars, the Crocs Club, and the Rotaract club. After graduation, she and her fiancé plan to adopt a golden retriever and move to the East coast where Washburn will begin a Physician's Assistant Master’s program.

Bradon Croft, VP of Marketing

Brandon Croft first got to know SUU through a Red Riot experience his senior year of high school. Now a junior majoring in marketing, Croft has stayed at SUU because of the abundance of opportunities for students and the school pride in the SUU and Cedar City community. Croft has enjoyed taking part in the University’s commitment to tradition by running the ThunderU tradition keeping segment this year, introducing 3,000 new students to SUU’s traditions. He also enjoys connecting with the community through his work with the Hope Corps program in the Entrepreneurship Center.

Croft first got involved on campus by simply visiting the STIL office to see what was available. Since then, he has served on the STIL marketing team as a marketing assistant, the director of photography, and now the chief of marketing. He is looking forward to serving in this new position and continuing to expand the marketing efforts of the university.

“I have really enjoyed working in STIL marketing for the past two years, and I have a lot of ideas for new things we can try this year,” said Croft. “We are planning to expand our marketing efforts to reach new areas of campus. Everyone doesn’t come to the Student Center or visit our social media pages, but we still want to reach out and include them. I want the student body to know who we are as an Executive Council and that we want to do whatever we can to help them during their time at SUU.”

After graduation, Croft plans to combine his passion for photography with his experience in marketing by pursuing a career in sports marketing.

The Executive Council members are elected and serve for the academic school year. Each vice president also serves as a voting member of the Student Senate. Contact members of the Executive Council.

Tags: SUUSA