The College Tour at SUU: Hadley Cowan

Posted: April 13, 2022 | Author: Abbie Cochrane | Read Time: 2 minutes

The College Tour: Hadley CowanHadley Cowan was thrilled to be featured in Southern Utah University’s episode of The College Tour. Cowan is a senior majoring in psychology from St. George, Utah. The College Tour is a new national TV series that provides a closer look at the heart of college campuses across the country. SUU is the first Utah campus to be featured.

“I was honestly super surprised that I was selected for the College Tour episode!” Cowan recalled. “Luckily, I was used to talking about SUU with my experience as a Presidential Ambassador so writing my segment was the easiest part! The Marketing Department asked us to find extras for our segment, and I loved being able to have fellow Presidential Ambassadors, friends, and family in my segment. It made the whole experience feel special and really reminded me that I love SUU because of the connections made here!”

Cowan’s segment of the episode dove into her experience with the Carter Carillon tradition - a rite of passage for every SUU student. The tradition symbolizes a student’s time at SUU. During freshmen orientation, students walk under the bell tower toward the sunrise signifying the beginning of their time at SUU. Then, at graduation, students walk under the bell tower toward the sunset signifying the end of their time at SUU. Students do not walk under the bell tower between the beginning and end of their time at SUU, or thereafter.

“When I went through the bell tower tradition it was the first time that I felt that I belonged to something bigger,” said Cowan.

In the episode, she says, “While having alumni family members helped me to pick SUU, the student life and community helped me stay here.” Cowan has gotten involved at SUU through the presidential ambassador program. Presidential ambassadors give personalized campus tours to prospective students.

Since the College Tour aired, Cowan has kept busy. This past summer, she traveled to Chicago, Illinois for a career-advancing opportunity with her husband. She also has plans to earn her Master’s degree and become a Speech Language Pathologist and work with elementary-aged students.

SUU’s episode of The College Tour aired on August 19, 2021, and is available to watch on YouTube, Amazon Prime and The College Tour website. The episode features ten students from different corners of campus, each offering their own story about the university. Learn more about the College Tour students.

Tags: The College Tour College of Humanities and Social Sciences