SUU Highlights its Commitment to Students Through the Honors Program

Posted: April 19, 2023 | Author: Caden Butterfield and Keiko Schwartz | Read Time: 2 minutes

SUU Honors Program studentFor Southern Utah University students looking to improve the quality of their education, the Honors Program is a great place to start. The Honors Program is open to all undergraduate students regardless of major and offers many benefits, including early class registration for members, an energetic learning community, smaller class sizes and optional on-campus housing in the Honors Living Learning Community.

“I love being part of the Honors Program because I get free food, free scantrons and early registration for classes,” said Shane Best, a second-year member of the program. “I also love the additional challenge that comes with being part of the program; I feel like the quality of my education has improved, and being a member of the program makes my resume stand out more.”

Students within the program are required to graduate with at least a 3.5 GPA. Additionally, they are required to earn 21 honors credits; this can be done through honors classes, specialized contracts or independent studies. Honors students must also complete a capstone project, which is designed individually by each student. Two of the three required honors courses help prepare students for their capstone projects. If these requirements are met, students will graduate with University Honors, an achievement recognized nationwide that indicates exceptional work during undergraduate studies.

Andrea Rodgers, who works as the vice president of public relations for the Honors Program, expressed gratitude for her membership in the organization. “This program has provided learning experiences that were simultaneously meaningful and fun. I’ve learned more about myself and what I love to do through this program. I’ve also formed good relationships with students, professors and staff. It’s been a really fun community to be a part of,” said Rodgers.

Applications to join the Honors Program are open year-round. For more information, students interested in the program can visit the SUU Honors Program website or stop by the office.

Tags: Honors Program