The Southern Utah Museum of Art is a student-centered experiential learning environment that collects, preserves and exhibits the visual arts of southern Utah and surrounding Colorado Plateau. The Museum’s exhibitions and educational programs expand the collecting focus by connecting regional art, culture and interests with the larger world.
Southern Utah Museum of Art is an experiential learning center for future arts leaders who serve the community through exhibitions, collections, preservation, and educational programming.
Our First Six Months
Southern Utah University
Southern Utah University, as our founders envisioned, is a dynamic teaching and learning community inspired by its unique natural surroundings. As Utah's designated public liberal arts and sciences university, SUU engages students in a personalized and rigorous experiential education, empowering them to be productive citizens, socially responsible leaders, high achievers and lifelong learners.
Beverley Taylor Sorenson Center for the Arts
The Beverley Taylor Sorenson Center for the Arts will incorporate visual arts, live theatre and dynamic arts education on the SUU campus. The Beverley, a year-round cultural destination, will include the Utah Shakespeare Festival’s new Engelstad Shakespeare Theatre, the Eileen and Allen Anes Studio Theatre, and the Festival’s offices and studios, as well as SUMA.
The SUMA Advisory Board is selected and appointed by SUU. The members represent both SUU and the community. Terms are 3 years. The Founding Board is as follows:
- Chair - Joanne Brattain (Community) 7-15 to 7-18
- Vice-Chair and Education Grades 6 – 12 and Adult - Deborah Snider (SUU) 7-15 to 7-16
- Secretary - Jennifer Oberhelman (SUU) 7-15 to 7-17
- Programming Chair - Diane Strachan (Community) 7-15 to 7-18
- Volunteer Chair - Roland Gow (Community) 7-15 to 7-17
- Elementary Education K – 5 - Alisa Petersen (SUU) 7-15 to 7-16
- Collections Chair - Susan Harris (SUU) 7-15 to 7-16
- Development Chair - Donna Law (SUU) 7-15 to 7-16
- Development - Kathy LaFave (Community) 7-15 to 7-17
- Friends Chair - Colette Cox (Community) Position is perpetual
- Marketing - Maria Twitchell (Community) 7-15 to 7-17
- Reece Summers (SUU), Director of SUMA
- Shauna Mendini (SUU), Dean of the College of Performing and Visual Arts
- Tiffiney Christiansen (SUU), Development Director
- Rachel Bishop (SUU), Director of the Arts Administration Programs