Theatre Arts & Dance Groups
Alpha Psi Omega
The Department is a member of the national Theatre Honor Society, Alpha Psi Omega, and our cast (chapter) name is Alpha Delta Chi.
Eligible students (3.25 GPA and a sufficient number of “points” acquired performing, designing, or otherwise serving the art and craft of theatre) are pledged twice a year.
Members of the organization undertake service projects such as mentoring freshmen, coaching scenes and auditions, working with the High School Shakespeare Competition, sponsoring Theatre Saturday (workshops for high school students) and other projects.
Orchesis is a modern dance organization on campus. Its purpose is to:
- Provide a creative outlet for student choreography.
- Provide SUU students with a greater opportunity for performance and community outreach.
- Promote dance on the SUU campus and in the surrounding area.
- Assist in directing the fall semester student performed and choreographed dance concert.
- Participate in service projects and fund raising activities.
- Serve as a social component to the University experience.
Second Studio is the student production organization of the Department of Theatre Arts and Dance. The goal of Second Studio is to provide students with the opportunity to explore their craft outside the confines of major department productions. Students interested in participation in Second Studio acting, dance and production work should communicate their interest to the Second Studio Student Board who set and produce the Second Studio season.
Second Studio also strives for successful fund raisers throughout the academic year. Some of the fund raising activities are concessions at Theatre Arts and Dance Department productions, SUU Live, High School Shakespeare Competition concessions & dances. The money collected helps students attend conferences and provides opportunities for students to earn scholarships through performance, service, and activity within the department.