Certifying Process for Prospective/New Students

  1. Verify your Program Eligibility
    1. To find out if a program “degree” is approved for VA educational benefits under MGIB, please visit the VA's WEAMS Institution Search Tool to search for approved Education Programs.
  2. Apply to SUU Online
    1. There is $50.00 application fee that may be waived for veterans and dependents using benefits. You can contact the Veterans Center to receive a waiver code.
  3. Note: You cannot be reimbursed for completed application payments.
  4. Wait for initial acceptance email from SUU Admissions.
  5. Note: Confirm you have given SUU a valid email.
  6. After being accepted, you must defer or pay your enrollment deposit
    1. You may submit a Deferment Application, merely state that you are using VA educational benefits.
  7. Note: Students under Ch.31, Ch.33, or Ch.33TOE will have their enrollment deposit reimbursed for those that paid. Students that completed the deferment application will have the deposit included in their initial funding request to the VA.

Accepted Veteran Student Checklist

  1. Obtain your Certificate of Eligibility (COE)
    1. Apply for your COE at Vets.gov
    2. What you need to fill out this application
      1. The Social Security number of you and your sponsor (required)
      2. Proof of Service Member's military history (required)
      3. Basic information about the school or training facility where you want to attend (required)
      4. Bank account direct deposit information
      5. Your education history
    3. You may also mail in a paper form to the VA Regional Office. Online text friendly copies can be found on the Veterans' Affairs Forms page.
      1. First-time applicants for GI Bill® Chapters 1606, 1607, 30, and 33 (Post 9/11) must complete VA Form 22-1990 "Application for VA Education Benefits."
      2. If you are transferring to SUU from another institution, and wish to continue using Chapters 1606, 1607, 30, or 33 (Post 9/11) benefits, complete VA Form 22-1995 "Request for Change of Program or Place of Training."
  2. Create your VA file with the Veterans Center
    1. Provide the office with the following:
      1. Your Certificate of Eligibility (COE)
      2. A copy of your Sponsor’s DD-214
      3. Your local contact information
      4. A signed copy of the Statement of Understanding form
      5. A signed copy of the SUU Aviation Program Addendum (for aviation students only)
      6. Purple Heart Certificate (if applicable)
  3. Apply for Financial Aid: You should complete a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) application even if you think you may not qualify
  4. Get your Student ID card at SUUSA located in the Student Center: Your first ID card is FREE.
  5. Send your Official Military Transcript to SUU
    1. Army, Marines, Navy - obtain your Official Joint Services Transcript
      1. Select online delivery, this will send your transcript directly to SUU. The VA requires that a credit evaluation be completed for your military service.
    2. Air Force - contact CCAF to receive transcripts.
  6. Apply for Residency/In-State tuition
    1. Residency/In-State tuition is granted to dependent students, during the term that they are utilities VA benefits, or under the approval under R512. You must complete the residency application through the admissions office within three weeks of the start of the term, or you will be charged out-of-state tuition for the term.
    2. Note: The VA does not cover the cost of Out-of-State tuition if students are eligible for in-state tuition. You must submit your residency application within three weeks of the start of the term, or you will be charged out-of-state tuition.
    3. Note: See the Residency section for more information.
    4. Note: See the College Connections section for more.