Teacher Licensure Requirements by State

State State Licensure/Certification Minimum Qualifications Student Requirements to meet Minimum Qualifications For Licensure/Certification of State Contact Information
Alabama ​Individuals applying on the basis of certificate reciprocity must submit a valid professional educator certificate issued by another state, the District of Columbia, a U.S. Territory, or the Department of Defense Education Activity (DoDEA). Applicants must also meet background clearance, test, and any experiential requirements. Eligible with Application

Alabama State Department of Education

(334) 694-4900

Alaska To qualify for an Initial/Out-of-State teacher certificate, an applicant must meet the following requirements:
1. Has never held an Alaska teacher certificate
2. Holds a current, valid out-of-state teacher certificate (out-of-country certificate will not be accepted), that will be current and valid at the time the applicant’s contract for instructional services begins in an Alaska public school district.
Eligible with Application

Alaska Department of Education

(907) 465-2800


American Samoa No Information available Under review - Contact Office of Teaching & Learning | (801) 863-8255

American Samoa Department of Education

(684) 633-5237



The following documents should be submitted to apply under Certification Reciprocity:

1. An Application for Certification
2. A photocopy of your valid Arizona Department of Safety Identity Verified Prints (IVP) fingerprint clearance card.
3. A photocopy of your valid, comparable out-of-state educator certificate.
4. Your official transcripts or foreign credential evaluation.
5. The appropriate fee ($60 per certificate, endorsement, or additional approved area requested).

Eligible with Application

Arizona Department of Education

(602) 542-5393


Arkansas Reciprocity means the recognition of a teaching license from another state or country based on the Arkansas Department of Education (ADE) licensure rules and/or the National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification (NASDTEC) Interstate Agreement for Educator Licensure. Request a Reciprocity packet from ADE by emailing ade.educatorlicensure@arkansas.gov (Please include a name and mailing address where you would like to receive the packet). Eligible with Application

Division of Elementary & Secondary Education

(501) 682-4475



To qualify for this credential based on out-of-state preparation, you must submit the following minimum requirements:

1. Application Form and processing fee.
2. Official transcripts verifying your Bachelor's degree (and any additional higher degrees). The transcripts must be the original college issued documents, not photocopies, but they do not have to be sealed in the original envelope.
3. A copy of your professional-level out-of-state teaching license authorizing elementary school teaching. Be sure to include a copy of the back of the document if the back has any licensing information or authorizations printed on it.
4. Evidence of fingerprint processing.

Eligible with Application

California Department of Education

(916) 319-0800

Colorado Colorado issues licenses/endorsements if you have a valid teacher license (not substitute, temporary, emergency, provisional or probationary) issued by another state that carries an identical endorsement to one issued by Colorado, meet the degree requirement for that endorsement AND have three years of full-time licensed teaching experience in that state within the past seven years, Colorado will issue a professional license with the identical endorsement requested. Application required. Eligible with Application

Colorado Department of Education

(303) 866-6600



Connecticut certification is usually based on completion of a state-approved educator preparation program. To obtain Connecticut educator certification based on program preparation, educators must:

Successfully complete a state-approved planned program of general academic and professional education at a regionally accredited college or university and earn formal institutional recommendation for certification; and
Pass subject-specific tests, if applicable to the endorsement requested.

Eligible with Application

Connecticut State Department of Education

(860) 713-6543


Delaware The Delaware Department of Education may issue an Initial License to an applicant who meets current Delaware reciprocity provisions and who also is currently licensed as an educator in another jurisdiction with less than four years of successful credentialed teaching experience. Eligible with Application

Delaware Department of Education

(302) 735-4000


District of Columbia

Applicants must meet the following requirements to be eligible for a standard credential based upon this option:

1. Holds a completed bachelor’s degree
2. Holds a valid full teaching credential from another reciprocal state
3. Has successfully passed a comparable basic skills, Praxis CORE, PPST or other accepted alternate basic skills exam
4. Has successfully passed a corresponding subject content exam in another state or have passed the DC-required Praxis II exam
5. Has successfully passed a corresponding pedagogy exam in another state or have passed the DC-required Praxis II exam
6. Has completed at least two years of effective or equivalent full-time teaching experience in another state, as measured by a summative evaluation rating of two years of effective or equivalent teaching based upon the student growth component of an evaluation rating. The experience shall be completed within five years prior to an application for the credential, and the final year shall show a rating of effective or higher.

Eligible with Application

District of Columbia State Board of Education

(202) 741-0888



Florida has two reciprocity routes for certified teachers and administrators to qualify for our Professional Certificate.

Route 1: Valid Standard Certificate Issued by a State Other than Florida

The certificate shall be the valid standard educator's certificate issued by that state which is comparable to a Florida Professional Certificate, and
Be issued in a subject comparable to a Florida certification subject, and
Require the same or higher level of training required for certification in that subject in Florida. The certificate must be currently valid (not expired or revoked).

Route 2: Certificate Issued by the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS).

The NBPTS certificate must be currently valid. The Florida certificate will reflect the Florida subject considered comparable to the NBPTS subject.

Eligible with Application

Florida Department of Education

(850) 245-0505


Georgia If your out-of-state certificate meets certain requirements, it is possible to get a Georgia certificate based on interstate reciprocity. In order to qualify, you must hold a valid or expired certificate in a field that is comparable to one of Georgia’s certificate fields. The certificate must also meet the following conditions:
Issued by another U.S. state, the District of Columbia, or other qualifying jurisdiction such as the Department of Defense Education Activity (DoDEA).
Is a professional certificate based on completion of a state-approved educator preparation program.
It is important to note that reciprocity does not mean that an out-of-state educator will automatically qualify for a Georgia certificate. Like most other states, Georgia imposes specific state requirements on all educators, including those already certified out-of-state.
Eligible with Application

Georgia Department of Education

(404) 656-2800


Guam No Information Available Under review - Contact Office of Teaching & Learning | 801-863-8255

Guam Department of Education

(671) 300-1547

Hawaii The Provisional License is a NASDTEC Stage 2 License. For teachers who have completed a preparation program and have less than three years of full time teaching experience. Eligible with Application

Hawaii State Department of Education

(808) 586-3230



Application for individuals who are from out-of-state who:
Hold a current, valid certificate in another state, a complete application must include the following items:

1. Completed and signed application
2. Application Fee of $75.00
3. Completed Background Investigation Check Packet
4. Copy of Current, Valid Out-of-State License
5. Official Transcripts
6. Content Area Assessment

Eligible with Application

Idaho State Department of Education

(208) 332-6800


Illinois Illinois offers full reciprocity. At the time of the initial evaluation for an Illinois Professional Educator License (PEL), educators will be considered for all areas listed on his or her valid, comparable out of state license. Eligible with Application

Illinois State Board of Education

(217) 782-4321



Indiana’s process for applying reciprocity to out-of-state license: If you hold a valid out-of-state license and have completed an NCATE/CAEP accredited or state approved teacher preparation program in another state and want to obtain an Indiana teaching license, or if you are from another state and do not hold a teaching license but would like to obtain an Indiana teaching license, there are licensure paths available for you.

Please note, however, that Indiana requires an applicant to pass a content (subject matter) licensure test in every content area that will appear on the Indiana license issued.

Eligible with Application

Indiana Department of Education

(317) 232-9010


Iowa Regional Exchange Teaching License - Out of State Applicants Requirements -
Completion of a full state-approved teacher preparation program for college semester hour credits from a regionally-accredited institution outside Iowa, and coursework deficiencies were identified after a BoEE transcript review. Applicants who have completed non-traditional programs should contact our office before applying to determine eligibility.
Eligible with Application

Iowa Department of Education

(515) 281-5294


Kansas Requirements for a Kansas Teaching License:
1. Bachelors degree - awarded by a regionally accredited institution
2. Teacher preparation program successfully completed
3. Valid out-of-state teaching license
4. Fingerprint - background clearance
5. “Recency” - one year of teaching experience or eight semester credit hours completed within the last six years
6. Content and Pedagogy testing requirements OR exempted by accepting out-of-state tests or experience
Eligible with Application

Kansas State Board of Education

(785) 296-3203


Kentucky Reciprocity is a term often used when educators need to transfer their certification from one state to another. This does not mean, however, that a state with “reciprocity” will automatically grant the same certification as was held in another state, since each state has its own special requirements. Kentucky is part of the National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification (NASDTEC) Interstate Agreement; therefore, the state accepts recommendations from teacher preparation programs from state-accredited colleges and universities in many states. Cases are evaluated on an individual basis. Eligible with Application

Kentucky Department of Education

(502) 564-3141



Louisiana offers two types of teaching certificates to applicants holding a standard out-of-state
teaching certificate.

1. Level 1 (LV1) Professional Certificate is a standard, three-year Louisiana teaching certificate that authorizes certification for the levels or subjects available in Louisiana and that are consistent with those currently on the applicant’s Out-of-State teaching certificate. A Level 1 certificate is issued to individuals who have completed the Louisiana PRAXIS and/or NTE
2. Out-of-State (OS) Certificate is a standard, three-year, non-renewable Louisiana teaching certificate that authorizes certification for the levels or subjects available in Louisiana
and that are consistent with those currently on the applicant’s Out-of-State teaching certificate. An Out-of-State (OS) certificate is issued to individuals who have not met
Louisiana’s PRAXIS and/or NTE requirements.

Eligible with Application

Louisiana Department of Education

(877) 453-2721



The Maine DOE must certify every teacher in the state before he or she is able to start working in the classroom.

To apply for initial certification evaluation, please follow the seven steps below.

1. Complete and sign application
2. Enclose all official transcripts
3. Include additional documentation, if necessary
4. Enclose appropriate non-refundable fees
5. Enclose explanation of application questions to which you answered "yes"
6. Include examination scores, if applicable
7. Submit application

Eligible with Application

Maine Department of Education

(207) 624-6600


Maryland If you hold an active professional ​certificate from another state, have completed an educator preparation program and met the issuing state's qualifying test scores to receive certification, please submit the following:
Official transcript(s), which must show the degree and date of conferral, if applicable. Student copies in an unopened mailer are also acceptable​.
A photocopy of your active out of state professional certificate
Verification of test scores for the required teacher certification tests for your out-of-state professional certificate. (A photocopy of the test scores or an official verification from a state department of education will be accepted.)​
An initial application for certification
A cover letter with your name, mailing address, last 4 digits of your social security number, date of birth, personal email address, and the area of certification you are seeking.
Eligible with Application

Maryland State Department of Education

(410) 767-0100


Temporary License:

Valid for one (1) year of employment
Cannot be extended or renewed
General requirements – appropriate for an experienced teacher from out-of-state who:

Holds a Bachelor's degree
Has been employed in another state under a valid license or certificate comparable to a Massachusetts initial license for at least three (3) years
Has not passed all of, or has not failed any of, the required MTEL tests.

Eligible with Application

Massachusetts Department of Education

(781) 338-3000

Michigan Michigan has signed an Interstate Compact Agreement (ICA) with every state
agreeing to accept out-of-state teacher preparation programs and teaching
certificates on a reciprocal basis for initial certification. However, the terms of the
agreement address both traditional teacher preparation programs and alternative
route teacher certification programs and each certificate and/or program must be
evaluated under the terms of this agreement.
Out-of-state certification programs and credentials may differ from Michigan
programs and credentials; however, under the ICA, the Department attempts to
match out-of-state certificates, grade levels and content endorsements, as closely
as possible.
To determine reciprocity under the ICA, an evaluation must be completed.
Eligible with Application

Michigan Department of Education

(833) 633-5788



If you have obtained a regionally-accredited bachelor's degree from a state-approved teacher preparation program with field-specific student teaching equivalent to requirements of Minnesota programs, you may qualify for a Minnesota teacher license under the tiered licensure structure.

You may qualify for a Tier 3 license if:

You take and pass the MTLE content and pedagogy exams for the licensure field recommended by your college/university. You should not submit a formal application for Minnesota licensure until after you receive official passing scores on the MTLE exams. The MTLE website has more information about the exams and the exam reporting schedule.
You meet the additional Tier 3 licensure requirements.
An out-of-state teacher may apply for a Tier 2 license prior to passing the MTLE content and pedagogy exams if they have met all Tier 2 licensure requirements and have been offered a position by a Minnesota public school district or charter school.

Eligible with Application

Minnesota Department of Education

(651) 582-8200



A Five-Year Educator License – Reciprocity is granted to applicants who possess a valid standard license from another state in an area in which Mississippi issues an endorsement and meets Mississippi’s minimum licensure requirements or equivalent.
The department shall grant a standard license to any individual who possesses a valid standard license from another state and meets minimum Mississippi license requirements or equivalent requirements as determined by the State Board of Education.

Applicants must submit to the Office of Educator Licensure:
1. Licensure application
2. Original valid out-of-state license.
3. Sealed copy of all college transcripts.
4. Documentation must be provided to show a passing score on a core subject test required for certification by the issuing state, or documentation that verifies the out-of-state license was obtained in a manner equivalent with current Mississippi license guidelines for that license.

Eligible with Application

Mississippi Department of Education

(601) 359-3483


A non-Missouri Graduate Application will need to be submitted.
Processing Fee of $100 is required, Transcripts, Verification of approved Teaching Experience, Background Check

Eligible with Application

Missouri Department of Education

(573) 751-4212


Montana Montana does not have reciprocity with any state for teacher licensure. To get a Montana teaching license you will need to go through the application process. You will need to submit an application, transcripts, a fingerprint background check, a copy of your current out of state license, a university recommendation and a licensure fee which verifies you have completed a teacher preparation program which included student teaching and that you qualify for the endorsements you are applying for. Eligible with Application

Montana Office of Public Instruction

(406) 444-2511


Nebraska Teaching Initial
Certificate Requirements

Completion of a Baccalaureate Degree

Completion of a Teacher Education Program at a state approved college or university

Completion of the Human Relations Training Requirement

Completion of the Special Education Training Program

Praxis – CORE Academic Skills (Basic Skills)

Praxis Subject Assessments – (Content Test)

Recent college credits or employment experience within the past immediate 5 years
Eligible with Application

Nebraska Department of Education

(402) 471-2295

Nevada Nevada offers reciprocity for current, valid, non-provisional, and non-conditional licensees coming from other states. If you are applying for any Nevada educator license for the first time from out-of-state, including a substitute teaching licenses, you will need to first register for your online profile through OPAL and follow the Out-of-State Checklist. Eligible with Application

Nevada Department of Education

(702) 486-6458

New Hampshire Reciprocity means NH will accept either another state’s approved educator preparation program in lieu of an NH educator preparation program OR a full license with specific experience. Reciprocity does not mean an educator license from another state is automatically exchanged for a license in NH. Application required. Eligible with Application

New Hampshire Department of Education

(603) 271-3494


New Jersey For candidates from other states to receive a certificate through reciprocity, New Jersey must issue the equivalent of whatever subject area or grade level out-of-state license the applicant holds. 1. Hold valid standard certificate issued by another state and demonstrate at least two effective years of teaching within three consecutive years of the last four calendar years, as documented by letter from applicant's supervisor or appropriate district representative OR 2. Hold National Board of Professional Teaching Standards certificate. Eligible with Application

New Jersey Department of Education

(609) 376-3500

New Mexico

Reciprocating a License

$125.00 fee, cashier’s check or money order; and Initial Application; and Provide Official transcripts reflecting a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree earned from a regionally accredited college/university; and
Copy of current valid teaching License from out-of-state state education agency, Department of Defense School, or foreign country; and Verification of experience (Must be on Out-of-State School District Letterhead). Please break down experience by M/D/Y and please indicate the number of days taught for each year. 160 days commonly equals 1 full school year. and
Copy of Passage of Teacher Exams or a Notarized statement stating exams were not required.
**Out of State Licensure ICS– A one year certificate (1CS) is a provisional License. “Out-of-state 1CS” means a license issued to an individual who holds a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree who has completed a standard or alternative teacher preparation program, completed out-of-state teacher exams and has a valid out-of-state teacher license, but has no teaching experience.

Eligible with Application

New Mexico Public Education Department

(505) 827-1436

New York A certificate can be issued to an applicant who completed a comparable educator program in another U.S. State or Territory and has completed all examination, workshop and fingerprinting requirements. Submit an application and fee for an Initial certificate.
Complete a comparable approved teacher preparation program, in the subject of the application, at a college in another U.S. State or Territory that would lead to an institutional recommendation for certification in the state the college is located.
Bachelor’s degree.
2.5 cumulative GPA in a Bachelor’s or higher degree.
Satisfactory passing score on all required exams for Initial certificate sought.
Fingerprint Clearance.
Complete all required workshops.
Eligible with Application

New York State Education Department

(518) 474-3852

North Carolina

Applying for your first North Carolina Professional Educator's License:

Professional Educator's Initial Licenses are non-renewable and intended for teachers with 0-2 years of teaching experience, and are valid for three years. To be issued a Professional Educator's Initial License, an individual must have: completed a state approved teacher education program from a regionally accredited college or university, or
completed another state's approved alternative route to licensure and earned a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited college.
Praxis II Testing - for middle grades (6-9), secondary (9-12), and K-12 (including Exceptional Children: General Curriculum) license areas.
Pearson Testing for North Carolina: Foundations of Reading and General Curriculum - for Elementary Education and Exceptional Children: General Curriculum licenses only.

Eligible with Application

Public Schools of North Carolina

(919) 807-3300


North Dakota Requirement for ND teaching license with out-of-state license: if applicant has completed a transcripted teacher education program, ND will need a copy of your valid and current out-of-state teaching license and Confirmation of Other State Educator License form completed by your state's licensure agency. If you have completed an alternative certification program in another state and hold a valid license in that state, you will need to complete our Praxis I and Praxis II testing requirements for your content area(s) prior to being issued an OSEL in North Dakota. Apply online and the system will let you know what information is needed. Eligible with Application

North Dakota Department of Public Instruction

(701) 328-2260


Ohio To become a licensed teacher in Ohio, you must have a minimum of a bachelor’s degree and have completed an approved teacher preparation program through an accredited college/university. One-Year Out-of-State – If you are employed in an Ohio school, you may apply for a one-year out-of-state teaching license to allow time to complete the required Ohio licensure exam(s). To be eligible for this license, you must hold a valid, standard out-of-state teaching license and have met all requirements for a standard Ohio teaching license except for the Ohio licensure exams. You may only apply for the one-year out-of-state license at the request of your employing Ohio school. Eligible with Application

Ohio Department of Education

(877) 644-6338



If you hold a full teaching credential in any state, you are eligible for provisional certification in equivalent subject areas with the possibility of having to take Oklahoma tests.

Application for Oklahoma School Standard Teaching Certificate
Official transcripts from all colleges or universities. Transcript must denote degree earned and the date degree was conferred.
Proof of Teaching form and copy of teaching certificate valid during dates of experience listed, if applicable.
Copy of all teaching certificates. (Copy the back if it holds any valid information.)
A $50 processing fee (check, cashier’s check, or money order) made payable to the Oklahoma State Department of Education.
Submit fingerprint cards and a $53.94 fee for a criminal history record search.

Eligible with Application

Oklahoma State Department of Education

(405) 521-3301


Oregon To meet the minimum qualifications to apply for the Reciprocal Teaching License, you must:
Hold a valid and active non-provisional teaching license from another state;
Have never held an Oregon educator license, charter school registration or completed an Oregon educator preparation program;
Hold a bachelor’s degree or higher (regionally accredited or foreign equivalent);
Have completed an approved out-of-state teacher preparation program (official verification of completion is required);
Pass a criminal background clearance, including fingerprints, if necessary.
Eligible with Application

Oregon Department of Education

(503) 947-5600



​Pennsylvania along with most states and U.S. territories have signed an Interstate Certification Agreement to recognize current and comparable state-approved programs. Candidates from participating states must still meet other Pennsylvania requirements such as student teaching, GPA and PA testing.

Requirements if Applicant Holds a National Board for Professional Teaching Standards Credential: Identify the comparable Pennsylvania certificate for which you will be applying (see Types of Certificates).

Special Note: If applying for certification in Special Education, you must already hold or qualify and apply for a Pennsylvania certificate in an appropriate content area. Refer to CSPG 61 (Grade-Level Scope of Certificates section) for more information.

Eligible with Application

Pennsylvania Department of Education

(717) 783-6788

Puerto Rico No Information Available Under review - Contact Office of Teaching & Learning | 801-863-8255

Puerto Rico Department of Education

(787) 759-2000

Rhode Island Reciprocity allows individuals who completed a state approved out-of-state preparation program or who hold valid full out-of-state certificates to pursue RI certification where similar certificate areas exist. This reciprocity pathway may be available to individuals who hold a valid, current, full, out-of-state certificate. The certificate must align to a specific RI certificate grade range and content area, is NASDTEC Stage 3, and is NOT a temporary or preliminary certificate. Individuals pursuing this pathway should review the RI certification and testing requirements prior to submitting an application. Include official student-issued transcripts and/or letter of verification of a completed approved program stating the content and grade range in your application packet. Eligible with Application

Rhode Island Department of Education

(401) 222-4600

South Carolina

The issuance of a South Carolina educator certification based on a comparable certificate issued by another entity's Department of Education is referred to as reciprocity. Application Procedures for Reciprocity Complete the CATS Portal Certification Application prior to all following steps.

1. Submit the non-refundable $105 Processing Fee.

2. Complete the Fingerprinting Process and Criminal Records Review.

3. Submit an Official Transcript from each college attended. If the applicant has conferred more than one degree, our office requires official sealed transcripts documenting any preceding undergraduate and/or graduate programs.

4. Submit a front and back photocopy of the existing, valid out-of-state teaching certificate.

5. Submit copies of any content knowledge or pedagogical knowledge assessment/exam scores, if applicable.

6. Submit completed Verification of Teaching Experience Form.

Eligible with Application

South Carolina Department of Education

(803) 734-8500


South Dakota You should apply using the Out-of-State Initial Educator Application if you completed an educator preparation program from a state other than South Dakota. Eligible with Application

South Dakota Department of Education

(605) 773-3134


Tennessee The practitioner license is an initial license, valid for three years. To be issued a practitioner license using a valid out of state license, an applicant must: be at least 18 years old; hold a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university; provide proof of a full, valid and continuously renewable license comparable to the Tennessee professional license; and ensure that the department has official transcripts of all credits earned through an institution of higher education. Eligible with Application

Tennessee Department of Education

(615) 532-4885


Texas You must apply for a review of credentials if you are seeking certification in Texas and you hold a standard certificate issued by another state or territory. Application Information: Create an online account. Complete an application and pay the $164 non-refundable fee. Submit official transcripts from all colleges. Submit copies of all standard certificates. Submit proof of oral English language proficiency if your degree was earned outside the United States, including territories of the United States. Eligible with Application

Texas Education Agency

(512) 463-9734


Utah Step 1 – Complete a Utah State Board of Education (USBE) Background Check Step 2 – Pass the appropriate Content Knowledge Test Step 3 – Complete the Educator Ethics Review Step 4 – Complete and Submit the Application Eligible with Application

Utah State Board of Education

(801) 538-7500


Vermont Eligibility for licensure through the traditional route is determined by the completion of a state approved educator preparation program at a college or university through a bachelor, post-baccalaureate or master’s degree program and recommendation for licensure from the institution. Vermont currently has educator reciprocity with all states except: New York, New Mexico, South Dakota and Wisconsin. Educators who hold a current license, or have a recommendation for licensure on their transcript, from any of these states; will need to apply for Initial License through Transcript Review. Eligible with Application

State of Vermont Agency of Education

(802) 479-1030


Virginia An individual coming into Virginia from any state may qualify for a Virginia teaching license with comparable endorsement areas if the individual has completed a state-approved teacher preparation program through a regionally accredited four-year college or university, or if the individual holds a valid out-of-state teaching license (full credential without deficiencies) that must be in force at the time the application for a Virginia license is made. An individual seeking licensure must establish a file in the Department of Education by submitting a complete application packet, which includes official student transcripts. Professional teacher's assessments prescribed by the Board of Education must be satisfied. Eligible with Application

Virginia Department of Education

(800) 292-3820


Virgin Islands For initial certification in the U.S. Virgin Islands, all candidates must: Earn a baccalaureate degree. Submit appropriate applications. Submit official transcripts from all accredited institutions. Demonstrate proof of U.S. citizenship, permanent residency or other approved work status. Complete a course in Virgin Islands history within the first year of employment. Pass the Praxis tests for their certification area. Eligible with Application

Virgin Island Department of Education

(340) 774-4546



Residency Teacher Out-Of-State: This application is for those educators who have completed a teacher preparation program through an accredited institution or have held a full teaching credential in another state.

Requirements: Completion of a bachelor's degree or higher. Must submit official transcripts showing degree Completion of any state's approved teacher preparation program through an accredited institution, or an approved alternate route program, or copy of an out of state teaching certificate (valid or expired) plus three years of out of state teaching experience. The preparation program must include a defined course of study and a supervised student teaching/internship. Complete the form which applies and submit at the time of application. Must complete a basic skills test (WEST-B or approved alternative) and pass a content area test for each endorsement sought (WEST-E or approved alternative).

Eligible with Application

Washington Office of Public Instruction

(360) 725-6000

West Virginia Out of State Applicants Reciprocity Guidelines Under W. Va. Code §18A-3-1 and as defined in WV Policy 5202 §126-136-16, out of state applicants seeking initial licensure in the state of West Virginia, based on reciprocity, are required to meet EACH of the following: hold a valid teaching certificate or a certificate of eligibility issued by another state, have graduated from a state-approved educator preparation program* at a regionally accredited institution of higher education; AND have successfully completed a student teaching experience or equivalent in the state in which the approved program was completed. Eligible with Application

West Virginia Department of Education

(304) 558-2681

Wisconsin To become licensed in Wisconsin, an out-of-state applicant must verify completion of the following: 1. A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university. 2. A state-approved educator preparation program 3. Testing Requirements Eligible with Application

Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction

(414) 227-4466

Wyoming Wyoming participates in reciprocity with all states. However, reciprocity does not mean transfer of license. Applicants must meet additional requirements for Wyoming licensure. Requirements are listed below and in the application packets: a complete application with all required documentation & appropriate fees an Institutional Recommendation (IR) from the college where an applicant received his/her teaching degree official transcripts test scores, if applicable demonstrated knowledge of the U.S. & Wyoming Constitutions (either by transcript or by PTSB test) fingerprinting. Eligible with Application

Wyoming Department of Education

(307) 777-7675


*Updated 3/30/2020