International Graduate Student Admission Requirements

For admission, please fill out the application online. Submit required supporting documents securely For admissions questions, contact . Once you are admitted, you will be sent a letter of admission and an I-20. You will then schedule a visa interview to obtain your visa to study at SUU. The following information will be required of all foreign students who are applying for admission to Southern Utah University.

International graduate applicants must satisfy all graduate program admission requirements in addition to the international admission requirements. The following admission requirements apply only to international students that plan on attending an in-person graduate program via an F-1 student visa. Additional online graduate programs are available which do not require international students to obtain supporting immigration documents from SUU.

Graduate Program Admission Requirements

International Admission Requirements

1. Application

Apply Now!

Pay required $60 application fee (U.S. currency only), $35 for returning students.

Application Deadlines

Application deadlines vary from program to program

NOTE: At least 1 month is required for school processing, express shipping, and embassy appointment.

Program Requirements

International graduate applicants must satisfy all graduate program admission requirements in addition to the follow requirements.

2. English Proficiency

Proof of English proficiency is required for all applicants whose first language is not English. Students may show proficiency in English by providing scores for any one of the following:

Graduate English Proficiency Minimums
Test Minimum Score School Code
TOEFL IBT 79 4092
IELTS 6.0 Southern Utah University
iTEP Academic 4.2  
Duolingo English Test 110
TOEFL Essentials 8.0

Exams must not be over two years old at the time of application. Submitted scores must be an official report (screen shot not accepted).

Alternate English Proficiency Options

Applicants with an undergraduate degree from an accredited college or university in the U.S. or an English speaking country may submit an official transcript as proof of English proficiency.

Transfer students from a U.S. college who have completed 24 or more credits at a 2.0 GPA or higher may submit an official transcript as proof of English proficiency.

Students who have successfully graduated from an English language program may submit an official transcript indicating graduation with an overall grade performance of at least 80% or a B average as proof of English proficiency.

3. Transcripts

All international college transcripts must be evaluated by an approved foreign credential evaluation company. SUU's preferred evaluation company is SpanTran. If you have already had your international transcript evaluated by a foreign credential company, please reference the list of approved companies below to see if we can accept them.


4. Passport

Please provide a copy of the photo page of your passport. As per the U.S. Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services requirements, the students name of record will be as shown in the machine-readable section of the passport.

5. Finances

International students are required to demonstrate that funds are available for the first year of study. An official document from a banking institution showing the amount of funds available must accompany the International Student Financial Form.

Estimated tuition and fees for international students

For more information about the application requirements, please contact your International Admissions Counselor.

*If transferring from within the U.S., once all supporting documents have been received you will be sent a Transfer Clearance Form to complete the SUU International Transfer Student admission process. This form will provide the information necessary for your current school to transfer your government record to SUU.

Students who have previously attended SUU must be in good academic standing (a minimum of 2.0 cumulative GPA) in order to be unconditionally readmitted. Students with less than 2.0, left on probation, or were academically suspended must request a review by the Academic Standards and Admissions Committee.