Frequently Asked Registration Questions

How to:

What does this registration error mean?

Explanations of registration errors and their resolutions.

Why do I have a registration hold?

A registration hold can be put on a student’s account by various departments for different reasons. Some of the most common causes of a hold being placed on a student’s account are:

  • Outstanding fees at the Cashier’s Office
  • Overdue library books/library late fees
  • Parking fees

All holds must be cleared by the office that issued the Hold before a student can register, receive a transcript, receive their diploma, etc. You may view your holds online after logging in by choosing:

  • Student Records
  • View Holds

For questions on Holds, please call us at (435) 586-7715.

How do I register for courses that require special permission?

To acquire instructor or Department Chair permission use the Permission to Add Course  form on your mySUU Student Portal.  Both instructors must approve for courses with a time conflict.

How do I register for classes with the special senior citizen tuition rate authorized by the Legislature (HB 60)?

Utah residents, age 62 and over, are permitted to enroll, on a space-available, audit-only basis, at any of the state’s public universities and colleges. Tuition is free and the class must be audited (no credit given).

  • Submit an application to Admissions (applications are available at the Admissions or the Registrar’s Office)
  • Pay a $10 per semester administrative fee
  • Where applicable, a fee may be charged for use of consumable materials
  • Register at the Registrar’s Office on or after the first day of class

How do I calculate my enrollment status (full time, part time, etc.)?

A student’s status (full or part time) at the University depends on the number of credit hours for which he or she is enrolled each semester, as follows:

Full Time Explanation
Full Time Part Time
Undergraduate 12 and over Fewer than 12
Graduate 6 and over Fewer than 6

Undergraduate students receiving scholarship assistance must be full-time students. Graduate students should visit with their academic department for scholarship policy.

Undergraduates with federal financial aid should consult the Financial Aid & Scholarship Office.

Veteran students should contact the Veteran's Services Office for questions specific to their benefits.

What is a normal semester course load?

Credit Hour Load
  Normal Load Maximum Credit Load**
Undergraduate 12-15 credits 18 credit hours
Graduate 6 credit hours 3 credits (accelerated part-of-term courses)

6 credits (full semester courses)

Undergraduate students with an SUU grade point average of 3.5 or higher may enroll for more than the maximum credit load. A written approval from the academic advisor and the Dean of the student’s major is required. Approval must be obtained before registering. You may use the Credit Overload Request form.
     ** Registering for more than the Maximum Load credit hours will increase your tuition and fees.

How do I calculate my class standing?

An undergraduate student’s class standing depends on the number of semester hours successfully completed, as follows:

Registration Hour Explanation
Hours Completed Level (year)
0 to 29 Freshmen (first)
30 to 59 Sophomore (second)
60 to 89 Junior (third)
90 to graduation Senior (fourth)

Graduate students are considered Masters candidates.