Driver’s License Information for International Students

Students may apply for a driver’s license 10 days after arriving in the United States. Students with a current foreign driver’s license will need to bring the following information to the DMV:

  • Valid passport with visa
  • Form I-94
  • Social Security Number (SSN) or Form SSA-L676: “Refusal to Process SSN Application”. This will require you to apply for a Social Security Number
  • Proof of Utah Residency (two of the following)
    • Bank Statements
    • Court Document
    • Rental contract
    • Major credit card bill
    • School transcript
    • Utility Bill (cell phone bills are not accepted)
  • Completion of a driver education course, or valid license from another country

Students without a current foreign driver’s license will first need to enroll in a driver’s training program.

Denied applications may have incorrect information recorded in SEVIS. To correct this information, contact International Affairs.

If a dependent of a student wishes to obtain a Utah Driver’s License, they will need to present the following to the DMV:

  • Primary and dependent’s most current I-94
  • Primary and dependent’s valid passport with visa
  • Proof of identity (photo ID)
  • Proof of relationship (Marriage certificate)
  • Primary and dependents most current stamped I-20/DS 2019
  • $18.00

Cedar City Driver License Division
91 East Canyon
Commercial Avenue
Cedar City, Utah 84721
Hours: Monday – Friday 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM

Students are able to use a foreign license for up to 6 months after their arrival in Cedar City. During this time, students should carry a printed copy of their I-94 when driving.