Social Security Number (SSN) for International Students

In general, a Social Security Number (SSN) is only given to students working in the United States. International students are only authorized to work on-campus, unless authorized for off-campus employment through the GEC. After hiring, students will need to apply for an SSN by taking the following information to the Social Security Administration Office:

  • Complete an application for a Social Security Card – Available on the Social Security Administrations website
  • Letter from SUU as proof of employment – provided by International Student Advisor
    • If you are applying for the purpose of receiving a denial letter (Form SSA-L676: “Refusal to Process SSN Application”), then you do not need a proof of employment letter from SUU.
  • Valid Passport with I-94
  • Current I-20/DS-2019
  • Current Photo ID

Social Security Administration Office
Bella Vista Plaza
Suite 102
2069 N Main Street

Hours: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM, 1:00 – 3:30 PM

SSA Application for an SSN
This application needs to be completed and taken to the Social Security Administration office representing our region.

Social Security Administration
This website outlines the requirements for applying for a Social Security Number.