International Travel

Re-entry to the United States

Students with plans to return home for summer, spring or winter breaks, should check that their I-20 or DS-2019 has been properly endorsed for re-entry. Questions about the endorsement of these documents can be answered by International Student & Scholar Services.

Documents to Carry when Traveling Internationally

Traveling with the proper documents can help prevent delays when re-entering the United States. Consult the list below for a list of important documents.

Unexpired Visa
Unexpired Passport
I-20/DS-2019 endorsed for travel (See examples below)

Copy of SUU admission letter
Copy of financial statements used to gain admission to SUU
I-901 Payment Receipt

Canada /Mexico:

Before traveling to either of these countries, students need to visit the governments’ consular Web sites to learn about required immigration documents for entering the country.

Students, who have completed their program of study and choose to travel to Canada or Mexico, will not be able to re-enter the United States as an F-1 student unless they have received authorization to begin a new degree program within 5 months. Students may need to apply for a US travel visa in order to re-enter that United States.

Students planning on leaving the country for more than 5 months, will need to meet with a DSO to discuss the impact their absence will have on their immigration status.